Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hospital Bag: Older and Wiser

There are a lot of things you do differently the second time around as a parent.  I remember packing my hospital bag when I was pregnant with MK at roughly 30 weeks, and cramming it full of a bunch of crap that never got used. 

This time is pretty different.  For starters, I'm having this baby in five days or less, and I just packed the majority of my things earlier this afternoon.  I remember what I did and did not use last time, and what I wish I'd had. 

I'm no great photographer, plus it was storming today when I took these photos, so natural light was nonexistent, but here's a quick run-down of things I'll be taking with me this time around:

The pathetic attempt at an overhead shot:
 
So here's the basic overview, keeping in mind that I know I'll be having a c-section and will be in the hospital for four nights:
-nursing tanks, nursing bras, t-shirt, and regular tank top
-yoga pants
-nursing pads (disposable and reusable) and lanolin
-Kindle, Flip Video and phone charger
-blow dryer, hair straightener
-Baby's going home outfit

Here's a much better shot at the baby's coming home outfit that I found on eBay.  It's from Carter's but is no longer sold online.
 
Once I realized how horrible the photos I was attempting to take in my room were going to turn out, I decided to skip trying to take photos of the items in my toiletries bags.  I have a bigger bag of things I'll need in the shower and once I get out, and then I have my smaller make-up bag, which I'll grab in the morning on the way to the hospital.  Here's a grouping of the items in my big bag.  
 

I have travel sized versions of most of these products in my bag, but here's the general idea:
-shampoo and conditioner
-body wash
-hair products, comb, and brush
-facial wash and moisturizer
-make-up removing wipes
-night cream and serum
-regular deodorant
-aerosol deodorant- With a C-section, I won't be able to get out of bed for a day or possibly two.  Also, once you have a baby, the night sweats come at you like nobody's business, so by the time Thursday morning will roll around, I'm sure I'll be a little stanky.  Spray deodorant will help.
-toothpaste, mouthwash, toothbrush
-Not Your Mother's dry shampoo- I am planning on only washing my hair once or twice during my hospital stay.  This will help me ward off the grease and dirty hair smell
-Shave gel (I know I'll have a hard time attempting to shave my legs, but I absolutely cannot stand unshaven pits, amiright?)
-Spray lotion and hand crème- my skin gets DRY

A few other things I'll be bringing that I haven't pictured are our good camera, some flip flops, cozy socks, a cardigan or robe or something like that, slippers, some snacks, and a book and trashy magazines.

Ken's going back to work for the days immediately following baby's arrival so he can use his full paternity leave when I'm back at home.  During the days, it's just going to be me, baby, the nurses, and the occasional visitor.  That's why I'm bringing reading material.  Ooh... maybe I should throw some Harry Potter DVDs in the bag, too, for good measure :)

Am I forgetting anything here?  I think that's enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment